Page Section: Centre Content Column

Making a Complaint

Making a complaint can be a difficult thing to do, especially if you're not sure of the best way to get your point across. We can help you to work out the best solution.

Generally, it's helpful to first raise your concerns with the provider, so you can try to resolve the complaint between yourselves. But sometimes this isn't possible, or you might not feel able to deal with it yourself.

Health and Disability advocates are available to support you, the consumer, when you have a complaint. And they're free to use. You can find out more about advocates here.

If you believe you have suffered an injury as a result of treatment provided, you may also wish to contact ACC on 0800 101 996.  ACC is the body responsible for providing no-fault compensation for personal injury.

Contacting an advocate

You can contact an advocate on 0800 555 050, by email at, or find an advocate in your area by clicking here.

If you want to complain directly to HDC, you can do it in one of the following ways:

1. Complete an online complaint form

The complaint form will ask for all the details the Commissioner and his staff will need to assess your complaint.

Start filling out the online complaint form here.

If you have any questions about the online complaint form, you can call a Complaints Assessor on 0800 11 22 33 or contact your local advocate on 0800 55 50 50.

2. Submit a complaint by mail or fax

If you would rather send your complaint in writing, you can download a complaint form in one of the following formats.

Word document  (794KB);

PDF (189KB)

It is also available as an easy-to-read version (with pictures): Word document (1.3MB); PDF (283KB)

If you would like help to fill out the form, you can contact your local advocate on 0800 555 050. 

Then you can:

Post the form to

Health and Disability Commissioner
PO Box 1791
Auckland 1140

Fax the form to (09) 373 1061; or

Email the form to

3. Make a verbal complaint

We encourage you to make a written complaint by using one of the above methods. However, if you would rather talk to someone about your complaint, you can contact your local advocate on 0800 555 050.

Alternatively, you can call this Office on 0800 11 22 33 and discuss your concerns with one of our Complaints Assessors.

4. Make a complaint using New Zealand Sign Language

If you wish to make a complaint using New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL), please type a message "I wish to make a complaint using NZSL" and either email it to us on or text it to us on 027 485 7609 with your name and contact details. We can then organise an interpreter (in discussion with you) to come to you and record your complaint.

Free Fax: 0800 2 SUPPORT / 0800 2787 7678; or


More information

Find out more about the Commissioner's process.

For information about other complaints resolution services go to