Where to find help and support

Helplines and e-support

If you need to talk to someone, you can free call or text any of these services at any time:

  • Need to talk? 1737 or text 1737 for support from a trained counsellor
  • The Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757 or free text 4202
  • Healthline: 0800 611 116
  • Lifeline: 0800 543 354
  • Samaritans: 0800 726 666
  • Youthline: 0800 376 633 or free text 234 (8am-12am), or email talk@youthline.co.nz
  • The Lowdown: www.thelowdown.co.nz or free text 5626
  • Kidsline (ages 5–18 years): 0800 543 754
  • OUTline NZ: 0800 688 5463 for confidential telephone support for the LGBTQI+ family, as well as their friends and families
  • Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787 797 or free text 8681
  • Gambling Helpline: 0800 654 655 or free text 8006

You can also access free online support resources and communities:

depression.org: how to recognise depression, find a way through and stay well. Includes e-therapy tool The Journal.

SPARX.org.nz: online e-therapy tool for youth

auntydee.co.nz: online tool for anyone who needs some help working through a problem or problems

Mentalhealth.org.nz: advice if you or someone you know are depressed, anxious or stressed

whaioraonline.org.nz: online community focusing on service user’s experience transitioning from treatment to supported independence to independence

alcoholdrughelp.org.nz and drughelp.org.nz: information and help for people assessing their relationship with alcohol and other drugs and deciding whether it is time for change

livingsober.org.nz: online community for people wishing to “free themselves from the clutches of alcohol”

Accessing mental health and addiction services

If you feel unwell, or want help for a mental health or addiction need, your best starting point is usually your GP (family doctor). GPs are trained to assess, treat, and manage many mental health issues. Your GP can refer you to your local community mental health or addiction service or elsewhere if needed, or your GP may be able to help you to manage your illness.

For more information you can access the websites above and read the publications below.

Download Oranga Ngākau — Getting the most out of mental health and addiction services (PDF 2.5mb)

Download When someone you care about has a mental health or addiction issue (PDF 2.1mb)

In an emergency

If it is an emergency and you feel that you or someone else is at risk:

  • Call 111 or
  • Go to your nearest hospital emergency department (ED) or
  • Call your local DHB Mental Health Crisis Team (CATT) 0800 611 116 and stay until help arrives.
If someone is unconscious, call an ambulance (111).

Last reviewed February 2019