Where to find help and support

In an emergency

If it is an emergency and you feel that you or someone else is at risk:

  • Call 111 or
  • Go to your nearest hospital emergency department (ED) or
  • Call your local DHB Mental Health Crisis Team (CATT) 0800 611 116 and stay until help arrives.

If someone is unconscious, call an ambulance (111).

Helplines and e-support

A helpful collection of links to a wide range of available services and supports can be found on the Ministry of Health website.

If you need to talk to someone, you can free call or text any of these services at any time:

  • Need to talk? Call or text 1737 for support from a trained counsellor
  • The Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757 or free text 4202
  • Healthline: 0800 611 116 • Lifeline: 0800 543 354
  • Samaritans: 0800 726 666
  • Youthline: 0800 376 633 or free text 234 (8am–12am), or email talk@youthline.co.nz
  • The Lowdown: www.thelowdown.co.nz or free text 5626
  • Kidsline (ages 5–18 years): 0800 543 754
  • OUTline NZ: 0800 688 5463 for confidential telephone support for the LGBTQI+ family, as well as their friends and families
  • Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787 797 or free text 8681
  • Gambling Helpline: 0800 654 655 or free text 8006

Accessing mental health and addiction services

If you feel unwell, or want help for mental distress and/or addiction need, your best starting point is usually your GP (family doctor). GPs are trained to assess, treat, and manage many mental health issues.

Your GP can refer you to your local community mental health service or addiction service or elsewhere if needed, or your GP may be able to help you to manage your mental health and wellbeing.

Updated October 2021