Make a complaint to HDC

If you’re unhappy about a health or disability service you or someone else has received, you have the right to complain to HDC. Before making a complaint, you may wish to talk to the person or organisation you’re unhappy with. This is often the quickest and easiest way to address your concerns.

Before you complete this form

To make a complaint to HDC, you can complete the online form or send the details to us by email, post or by calling us, using the online form as a guide. Please be aware that we may discuss your complaint and clinical records with the person and/or organisation you are complaining about, including their employer. This may include forwarding them a copy of your complaint and clinical records.

Need help? You can get help from an advocate to resolve your complaint directly with the person or organisation you are unhappy with, or they can help you make a complaint to HDC. This service is free of charge.

You can fill in this online form in any language and we will have it translated.

Our team treats all complainants with fairness and respect. We acknowledge that you may be feeling distressed or angry in making a complaint, but we take a zero-tolerance approach to any abuse towards our staff.

Staff safety and wellbeing are paramount to HDC. Offensive, threatening or abusive communications will not be tolerated and will be responded to accordingly. This may include issuing a warning, reporting a matter of concern to the Police, or modifying or restricting access to our services.

Privacy information

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You can complain to HDC about any organisation or person in New Zealand who has provided a health or disability service.

    This includes public and private services, paid and unpaid services, hospitals and rest homes, and individuals such as nurses, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, counsellors, chiropractors, naturopaths, and caregivers.
  • There are a number of ways of submitting a complaint. You can use an online complaint form (see boxes above), or you can post a letter, email or call us. You can also use the New Zealand Relay Service.

    You can get help from an advocate to make a complaint. This service is free of charge.
  • Senior members of the Commissioner’s staff will review your complaint carefully, and the Commissioner will decide the best way of dealing with it. There are a number of options available to the Commissioner, including referring a complaint to the provider or another agency.

    The Commissioner may also decide to seek further information from you or the providers involved in your care, or from an expert advisor, before making a decision.

    Find out more information on the complaints process.
  • Making a complaint may help to prevent a similar thing happening to someone else, and may lead to an improved service.